Now you’ve bought the perfect arrangement, there are a few things you can do to ensure your
flowers last for as long as possible.
- Get your flowers home as quickly as possible, out of the sun and preferably into air
- Have your clean vase ready, fill with cold water and add a sachet of flower preservative.
Didn’t get a sachet? Try making your own by mixing 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of plain
household bleach and 2 teaspoons of lemon or lime juice.
- If you have a pre-made arrangement or a bunch of fresh cut flowers take it out of the
wrapping paper, and roll the rubber band or ties away from the stem ends.
- Cut the flower stems 1-2cm at a 45-degree angle. Use a very sharp knife or scissors to avoid
smashing or crushing the stems. Remove the lower foliage that would be submerged in the
water. With fresh cut flowers it is important to strip the foliage from the lower half of the
- Check your arrangement daily and remove any wilted or limp flowers. You can try re-
cutting the limp flowers to see if they will freshen up. Check the water level and replenish it
with the preservative mixture if necessary.